Are you properly treating your teeth to prevent cavities? Cavities are the result of a breakdown in your tooth enamel to the point that a hole has formed in a tooth. Despite the fact that your tooth enamel is a very strong protective layer of your teeth, it can be damaged as the result of plaque buildup and harmful acids. If a cavity forms your tooth’s pulp can become exposed to infection and decay. If left unchecked, tooth loss can occur. Listed below are a few common tips to help you defeat cavities:
– Always schedule regular checkups and professional cleanings at your dentist so that they can check your smile for cavities.
– When choosing a toothbrush and dental floss, use products that are recommended by your dentist or feature the American Dental Association’s Seal of Acceptance.
– Avoid sugars and acidic foods and stick to a sensible healthy diet including foods that have a high water content.
– Exercise caution with foods and drinks that are sticky and chewy, as they can linger in your mouth long after consumption and can continue to damage your teeth and gums.
– Try using supplementary dental cleaners after eating, such as mouthwash.
– Cavities can arise at any time, so remember to brush and floss daily for the entirety of your life.
If you think you have a cavity, please call Great Grins so we can get you in to see Dr. Susan A. Vanstone and our team as soon as possible. Our office is located in Richmond, Kentucky, and we can be reached at 859-626-9339. We look forward to seeing you smile bright this season.